Monday, February 25, 2008

Leftover Roast Chicken

"Honey make sure you do something with the Blog-Worthy Roast Chicken in the fridge! Lot's of good meat still left on the bone. Don't let it go to waste!" Goodness gracious.. "OK, Dear!"
Such an easy thing really, picking the meat off the bone. Therapuetic actually. Pick, pick, nibble, nibble... Of course when my hubby gave me the little reminder this morning he didn't really have any suggestions of what to do with the meat. It isn't that I couldn't think of anything, but I wanted to make something other than chicken soup (a popular standby in our house). Actually, he did suggest Chicken Enchiladas. Yummm.... Still having made them many times before I wanted to switch things up a bit. So, I went off to Whole Foods and spied a jar of Frontera Red Chili & Roasted Garlic (with tomatillo and sweet onion) Mexican cooking sauce. I figured, I could get creative with this sauce, and it was a good price at 2 for $6.00 for a 12oz. jar. On the way home I stopped into Sanchez Market on Atwells Ave. here in Providence. They make wonderful corn tortillas fresh everyday and at $1.00 for 3 dozen a true bargain!!! Joy of joys, on this day they had made some blue-corn tortillas! Haven't had any since my last trip to New Mexico! I splurged on these :$1.50 for 3 dozen :) When I got home, I decided to make New Mexican style free-form Chicken Enchiladas. I invited my Mom over and the girls and I devoured our servings! We left some for Jim (lucky for him) who was late getting home. I am shocked there are leftovers! (The recipe is something i just put together, so you can be lax on the measurements.) Give this easy breezy recipe a try (sorry I didn't take a picture!):
New Mexican style Free-form Chicken Enchiladas
1 16oz (plus another half a jar) jar of Frontera Red Chili & Roasted Garlic cooking sauce
1 cup Half-N-Half
1 4oz. can of Diced and Peeled Mild Green Chilis
1 Cup Frozen Corn
1 Cup frozen sliced peppers (I used Trader Joe's Tri-Color pack)
1 Medium Onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
About 3-4 cups leftover cooked-Chicken cut or shredded
12oz. shredded Colby Jack cheese
12-16 corn tortillas
garnish with: shredded lettuce, sour cream, diced avocado and salsa.
Saute the onion in a skillet with a tablespoon of olive oil.
Add frozen corn and peppers saute for about 5 minutes.
Add Chicken and one 16 oz. jar of sauce.
Add the half-n-half and cook till heated through, about 5-7 minutes on medium heat.
In the meantime, lightly spray a 13x9" pan with cooking oil.
Pour a ladle full of sauce to coat the bottom.
Cover with 6 corn tortillas (they will overlap a bit)I dip my corn tortillas in the sauce mixture to soften them up.
Add some more sauce and sprinle with cheese.
Repeat procedure for another layer or two as if you making lasagna.
The final layer should have remaining (half jar of sauce) and shredded cheese on top.
Bake in a preheated oven at 375 for about 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
Serve with rice and shredded lettuce.
ENJOY!
This is a relatively mild dish, so feel free to sprinkle on the hot sauce afterwards.

No comments: